On it, under it or in it, water was their chosen element, their happy place. They surfed and sailed, paddled and dived.
The house was filled with damp gear, hung about to dry. They themselves always seemed to be drying out too; wet hair and damp skin just waiting for the next adventure.
The smell of the ocean, river and lake carries their memory.
Ideas and inspiration:
- Choose a setting that speaks to their love of the water. The beach, the lake, the harbor. If cremating, taking the ashes to the service opens up near limitless options. Otherwise, have the after-service function somewhere fitting.
- Lay their water borne tools of trade on the casket. Simply place their surfboard or paddles on top. Fold and drape a sail on the casket.
- Replace the standard Order Of Service with a postcard that carries a single poignant photo of them doing what they loved. Add a saying or phrase they always used when the surf was up or the wind blowing.
- Have music help set the scene. Select songs about the ocean, rivers and sailing.
- Sailing by Rod Stewart
- Cool Change by Little River Band
- The River by Bruce Springsteen
- Southern Cross by Crosby Stills and Nash
- Sail on Sailor by The Beach Boys
- Take one last drive together. Put the casket in a flatbed truck with their dive gear laid beside, or the van they always took surfing. Put on their favorite tunes and take one last trip around the places they loved.